A working-man's blog. Dedicated to the advancement of the four day work-week, catch-and-release fishing, noxious weed control, less government, home-made bread, tractor time, and wide fairways.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Braaaack!

That's the sound this little hinge made this morning. It sounded just like a parrot would before he says "Polly want a cracker!"











So, being the handyman of the house, I grabbed a can of that wonderful bike chain lubricant, Tri-Flow (shown here with an eggplant for scale. I didn't want to commit another faux pas like the one yesterday... no scale. My first thought was to use a cucumber, but I realize some people might be put off. Thus the eggplant. And in case you think "faux pas" should be "faux pax" I really don't know. But dictionary.com shows faux pas, so there you go. Eggplants are not gourds, are they?).

Past experience has shown that if you push the cap down REAL SLOW, on the can of Tri Flow, you can make it come out in a dribble. Now of course if you push a little too hard, you get the "phhhhht!" I was confident of my ability to control the pressure, and I might have made it if I had not already had my morning coffee.

I'm sure there's a moral to this story somewhere.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I think we've all learned a valuable lesson here, and that is to not use gourds, even when tempted, to show scale. You proved, by using an eggplant, that you are capable of using beautiful, less taste-repellant vegetables in your home projects, and for that I congratulate you.

11:06 PM

 
Blogger Mark said...

I guess I'm confused; is the relative size of an eggplant supposed to be more common knowledge than the size of a can? Whatever, I guess I need to eat more eggplant... Is Tri-flow better than WD-40? I've always used duct tape on things that move when they shouldn't and WD-40 on thing that don't move when they should...

1:20 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Mmmmmmm, eggplant is good in Chinese food, if you can get past its slimeyness!

4:13 PM

 
Blogger rbflyfishr said...

Mark: yep, most people know the relative size of an eggplant. I'm sure they do. Tri-Flow was recommended by that bike shop in Littleton for use on bike chains... supposedly because oil will cause dirt to stick to the chain, thus increasing wear. I used it on the hinges because I saw it in the garage before I saw the WD-40. I like your rule of thumb on duct tape vs. WD-40!

Sarah: I can't get past the slimeyness. I think eggplant should only be used for scale in photos.

7:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home