A working-man's blog. Dedicated to the advancement of the four day work-week, catch-and-release fishing, noxious weed control, less government, home-made bread, tractor time, and wide fairways.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Garden

I'm getting this retirement thing down. I have been gardening this spring, and spending a LOT of time at it. Seems like the weeds grow right in front of my eyes. The vegetable plants are a different story. I planted on May 13th, and had pretty good germination (except for squash and cucumbers). So I replanted those and the "skips" in the green beans and corn on 5/28 and again on 6/12. The weather had been cool at night (below 50 degrees), so maybe that was the problem getting the seeds germinated. The past week has been warmer, and nights are now over 50 degrees. We'll see what develops. So here's the desert garden. There is a 5 wire electric fence around it to hopefully keep deer, raccoons, and skunks out:















A couple of years ago, I had planted a garden and then in the hot part of the summer, everyone on our irrigation ditch wanted water at the same time. So there was none available when I wanted it. This year I bought a 425 gallon tank, so I can hopefully have it full when those times roll around. I figure I can keep the garden alive for about 9 days with the water in the tank.















We also bought a used chipper/shredder this spring. It mounts on the tractor and runs off the PTO so there is no engine with it (less maintenance). Previously I have burned all the branches that fall from our trees (especially the globe willows). Now I can turn those branches into wood chips.















Erica has been busy planting perennial flowers in the front and side of our house. They look really good, although these shady shots don't show them off very well.




















Well, gotta go. Time to irrigate!









2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

So what exactly are all these cool things??? I need some captions, please.

10:57 AM

 
Blogger rbflyfishr said...

Oops. I tried to save this post as draft, but it looks like it was published to my blog. I have added really interesting captions (heh, heh), so now the posting is complete.

2:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home